Thursday, September 11, 2008

Hurricane Ike


At this time ( 7:48 PM Thursday ), Ike is headed our way. The media is hyping it up a lot, but we learned our lesson from Katrina and Rita, so better safe than sorry. Evacuations are in effect, but my family is hunkering down, except for me.
Here is my reply to members on another forum-
"If the predictions are true, we are directly in Ike's path. We live only 12 miles as the crow flies from the Gulf of Mexico, and the land is wide open all the way to us. Despite this, we have seldom had damage. We have only left home for one hurricane in my whole life, and that was Rita. That was a huge boondoggle and we don't want to repeat it. The authorities have learned a lot from Katrina and Rita, so they have done a great job with evacuations and preparations this time.
Most of it is hyped up by the media, but the threat is real.

HOWEVER, my wife does not want to leave, and neither do I. Besides, I am considered "essential personnel" at the office, and the regular weekend night dispatcher is not coming to work Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, so I will probably have to be here those nights. I will attempt to go home in the morning Friday to make sure everything is secure and the wife is ok, then come back here Friday night prepared to camp out here until it is over. The rest of the family is also staying home, mostly at my DIL's parents' house. My older son has to stay because he is needed for hurricane rescue efforts with his fire department.
Now, as to Ike, I see indications that he may turn more northerly and easterly, thus letting us off the hook except for rain and wind.
Thanks for thinking of us. I will keep you posted.
Noel"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Noel, I have Family on Co.Rd.536 in Alvin Texas.Can you tell me if that area was hit hard,and if everyone is ok? I tried to get in Contact with them but no electric/phone.Any help would be appreciated,as I'm clear up in Ohio. Thanks

Noel said...

I will have to locate that county road to tell much, but I can tell that the damages citywide are generally downed trees, fences, some mobile homes demolished, but no loss of life. Power is not on all over town yet. Land lines should work,if a wired phone. Won't work if they are base and portable. Cells don't always work, very spotty.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Noel,as of 9/19/08 still no information on my family,hopefully their phone service will come back on,so I know they are all O.K.

Thanks again and take care