Monday, May 04, 2009

Simi Knife Replica


Simi Knife Replica, originally uploaded by Noel C. Hankamer.


A friend is a knife maker and I asked him last year to make me a replica of a Simi Knife as carried by Maasai Moran in East Africa. I had one on my backpack on my way home from East Africa in 1969, but lost the knife in Yugoslavia, somewhere between the border with Greece and Zagreb.
He made me this one, shown here displayed with some Maasai mementos I brought home.The cloth is a Kitambi, worn when lounging around, it is wrapped on you like a sarong. This is one that I wore for several years while in the Peace Corps. Also shown are a snuff pouch made from grass to be worn as a necklace, a beaded wrist band, and a beaded necklace that was worn by young Maasai girls. I traded a dollar pocket watch for it.

Knife and sheath made by Thunder Forge
rm-250@cox.net

No comments: